I just had a conversation with a coaching client, who has been working through some mindset challenges. And her big teary revelation today was “I’m afraid of success.” She stops herself when it starts to get hard, uncomfortable, or there isn’t a clear trail that someone has previously blazed first. And justifies it as “I didn’t really want to do that anyway…”
Lemme tell you guys, this is so darn common. Fear of success has so many layers. Let’s analyze a bit.
– Opening yourself to public exposure and scrutiny
– Fulfilling expectations of yourself, as well as expectations from those around you
– Finding your own path, that might be different from others
– Allowing yourself to ENJOY what you have earned. (This one is so common for so many – “I don’t feel like I deserve it.”)
So what is fear of success? Another way of saying fear of failure. Staying where it’s safe, comfortable, and familiar. No one will notice, therefore no one will judge.
Leaders often say, “I can’t want it for them more than they want it for themselves.” Yup, true statement. In the nature of solo entrepreneurship, we are only accountable to push ourselves forward, and hopefully inspire others behind us of what is possible. Your own mindset will be your biggest cheerleader, or worst enemy. Watch your own self-talk, and listen to what she’s saying. You can’t…. you won’t…. it’s too hard…. (enemy) You got this….. let’s do this….. keep going….. be brave. (cheerleader) Mindset.
Now to add the trite cliches that we all love so much.
– If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
– No risk, no reward
– Success begins at the edge of your comfort zone.
– Climb the tree, that’s where the best fruit is.
– What if I fall? Oh but darling, what if you fly?
– Be fearless in pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.
Choose your thoughts, before they choose you.
Interested in learning more tips for your direct sales business? Come on over and join the Socialite Suite on Facebook!